Thursday, May 4, 2017

IW8


I learned the rhetorical power of image early in the course through the various projects and readings. For instance, Unit Project One involved the organization of multiple images (both original and altered) on a one-dimensional surface to convey an argument. The Third Unit Project was instrumental in forming an argument within my own images, via composition, angle, layers, etc., to be viewed on a digital platform. Perhaps more than words, images are effective in invoking pathos, logos, and ethos and are more likely to reach the audience due to their simplicity. Indeed, I recognize that words should only be used sparingly if possible when expressing an argument. The following is an original layered image from Unit One: 


I think hypertext is a strong rhetorical power, especially since technology and web have become more prominent, if not dominant. In other words, I view an interactive, digital design or composition as more effective in capturing the attention of a modern audience, as opposed to an essay or journal. The Unit Project Two is a good example of making an argument that unfolds over several pages, provides photos for reference or even videos, then attaches a downloadable document or external link for people to take action immediately. As we discussed, one downside of webpages is that they are constantly in revision and essentially never complete, but a traditional text offers more structure and a sense of finality. Also, the traditional text typically comes in a tangible form, which offers advantages such as reliability. The following is a screenshot from my Unit Two website:


I suppose it depends on the argument and its complexity, but I feel that it wasn’t difficult to avoid words. However, extra steps in the process or layers in the photos where necessary for clarification. For instance, in my argument against police brutality, I included items from each case, along with the location, presence of blood, face of the victim, and justice scales. Though it may seem redundant, each of the details ensures that the audience will understand the argument in the absence of words. I like the simplicity of the hypertext component as well, since the page presented the four images was no more than a background and a title. Again, while the title makes it perfectly clear, the background image provides another angle to the argument. In my case, the background image was of the protests following the injustice of police brutality. Here is my favorite image from the Unit Three site:


I’ve actually been acquainted with Photoshop for many years, though I had primarily touched up photos or created a basic text graphic. However, each of the three projects forced me to experiment with the tools and work towards an image that conveyed an argument. If anything, I became more well-rounded in Photoshop over the course this semester. On the other hand, I knew nothing about Dreamweaver coming in and had to learn the software. Once I got a grasp of the basic features, I was pretty much able to work my way around without touching the code. I find that Adobe software is typically user-friendly, whether it is Photoshop or Dreamweaver, it simply takes a tutorial or two to get started. I’m certain I will use Photoshop sometime soon, but I doubt I will use Dreamweaver again since web design is not directly related to my field, which is film. The following photo is a result of my experimentation in Photoshop:



No comments:

Post a Comment